If you have ever had a loaded sweet potato, this is the recipe for you. This came together starting with some leftovers I had from my Lions Mane Mushroom Burger, and the pairing and plating was just beautiful.
Shredding the lions mane mushroom by hand closely resembles shredded chicken or pulled pork. This is one of those recipes that makes it that much easier to eat plant-based food.
This recipe is simple, delicious, filling, and just all-around satisfying.
You can use toppings of your choice, but I think the caramelized onions and BBQ mushrooms are a must!!!
BBQ Lions Mane Mushroom Loaded Sweet Potato
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/4 lb lions mane mushroom
- 1 spoonful your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 Meyer lemon
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 stalk green onion
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.Poke holes in sweet potato with a fork. Rub with olive oil. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- With 15 minutes left on potato, heat cast iron skillet over medium heat. Shred lions mane mushroom by hand and add to hot skillet. Sauté dry for a few minutes until mushroom starts to brown.Season as you like. I used black garlic salt, black pepper, and basil.Remove mushroom into a bowl and coat with BBQ sauce.
- With cast iron still hot, reheat caramelized onions until warmed.
- To make avocado crema, scoop out avocado into a bowl. Add lemon juice, chopped cilantro, salt, and pepper. Cumin and coriander optional.
- Cut parsley and green onion for toppings.
- Once potato is done and cool enough, make a slit and squeeze to split open.Add caramelized onion, BBQ mushroom, avocado crema, and top with accoutrements. Make sure that your potato is overflowing! Enjoy it!!